Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Workspace


This is my Disney animation desk. Most of the work done on it is where my sketches, thumbnails and planning all happen. Unfortunately, the creative stuff done on it is all geared towards 3D character animation work, which happens to be the table next to it. I'll get the courage one day to do hand drawn animation on this beauty. But for now, here's some info on it.

I started looking for this specific desk back in the spring of 2010. Little did I know at the time, these desks are RARE and finding one was very hard. I even emailed around if anyone knew where I could get one but to no avail. Luckily, there's Google Alert! You type in specific key search words (in my case, "disney, animation, desk") and every time someone posts something on the internet that contains those words, Google will send you an email alerting you. About 8 months later in Jan. 2011, I received an alert about a post of someone selling their animation desk. It was from an ex-Disney clean-up artist, Jacque Pierro. She was very kind and helpful in selling her desk to me. Before the desk was shipped out, I asked her if she could carve her name behind the drawing board to keep this tradition my animation professor (who also worked at Disney as a supervising animator) in college once told me. He said that some of the great animators at Disney would carve their names on the desk so that future animators would know which great artist previously worked on that very desk. Of course, she was flattered and honored to do so. It was almost a surreal experience after spending so much time researching all about the desk online to finally owning one.

No comments:

Post a Comment